Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Drug mnemonic


DRUG mnaemonic
Morphine: side-effects MORPHINE:
Myosis
Out of it (sedation)
Respiratory depression
Pneumonia (aspiration)
Hypotension
Infrequency (constipation, urinary retention)
Nausea
Emesis

Tricyclic antidepressants: members worth knowing
"I have to hide, the CIA is after me":
Clomipramine Imipramine Amitrptyline
· If want the next 3 worth knowing, the DNDis also after me:
Desipramine Norrtriptyline Doxepin

Patent ductus arteriosus: treatment
"Come In and Close the door": INdomethacin is used to Close PDA

SIADH-inducing drugs ABCD:
Analgesics: opioids, NSAIDs
Barbiturates
Cyclophosphamide/ Chlorpromazine/ Carbamazepine
Diuretic (thiazide)

Vir-named drugs: use"-vir at start, middle or end means for virus": · Drugs:
Abacavir,
Acyclovir,
Amprenavir,
Cidofovir,
Denavir,
Efavirenz,
Indavir,
Invirase,
Famvir,
Ganciclovir,
Norvir,
Oseltamivir,
Penciclovir,
Ritonavir,
Saquinavir,
Valacyclovir,
Viracept,
Viramune,
Zanamivir,
Zovirax.

Phenobarbitone: side effects
Children are annoying (hyperkinesia, irritability, insomnia, aggression).
Adults are dosy (sedation, dizziness, drowsiness).

Thrombolytic agents USA:
Urokinase Streptokinase Alteplase (tPA)



Narcotic antagonists
The Narcotic Antagonists are NAloxone and NAltrexone. · Important clinically to treat narcotic overdose.


Routes of entry: most rapid ways meds/toxins enter body
"Stick it, Sniff it, Suck it, Soak it":
Stick = Injection
Sniff = inhalation
Suck = ingestion
Soak = absorption

Anticholinergic side effects
"Know the ABCD'S of anticholinergic side effects":
Anorexia
Blurry vision
Constipation/ Confusion
Dry Mouth
Sedation/ Stasis of urine


Atropine use: tachycardia or bradycardia
"A goes with B": Atropine used clinically to treat Bradycardia.


Aspirin: side effects ASPIRIN:
Asthma
Salicyalism
Peptic ulcer disease/ Phosphorylation-oxidation uncoupling/ PPH/ Platelet disaggregation/ Premature closure of PDA
Intestinal blood loss
Reye's syndrome
Idiosyncracy
Noise (tinnitus)


Morphine: effects at mu receptor PEAR:
Physical dependence
Euphoria
Analgesia
Respiratory depression

Beta-1 vs Beta-2 receptor location "You have 1 heart and 2 lungs":
Beta-1 are therefore primarily on heart. Beta-2 primarily on lungs.

SSRIs: side effects SSRI:
Serotonin syndrome
Stimulate CNS
Reproductive disfunctions in male
Insomnia


Warfarin: action, monitoring WePT:
Warfarin works on the extrinsic pathway and is monitored by PT.


Propranolol and related '-olol' drugs: usage"olol" is just two backwards lower case b's. Backward b's stand for "beta blocker". · Beta blockers include acebutolol, betaxolol, bisoprolol, oxprenolol, propranolol.


Depression: 5 drugs causing it PROMS:
Propranolol
Reserpine
Oral contraceptives
Methyldopa
Steroids

Lead poisoning: presentation ABCDEFG:
Anemia
Basophilic stripping
Colicky pain
Diarrhea
Encephalopathy
Foot drop
Gum (lead line)


Cholinergics (eg organophosphates): effects
If you know these, you will be "LESS DUMB":
Lacrimation
Excitation of nicotinic synapses
Salivation
Sweating
Diarrhea
Urination
Micturition
Bronchoconstriction

Benzodiazepines: actions
"Ben SCAMs Pam into seduction not by brain but by muscle":
Sedation
anti-Convulsant
anti-Anxiety
Muscle relaxant
Not by brain: No antipsychotic activity.


Teratogenic drugs "W/ TERATOgenic":
Warfarin
Thalidomide
Epileptic drugs: phenytoin, valproate, carbamazepine
Retinoid
ACE inhibitor
Third element: lithium
OCP and other hormones (eg danazol)

Gynaecomastia-causing drugs DISCOS:
Digoxin
Isoniazid
Spironolactone
Cimetidine
Oestrogens
Stilboestrol

Osmotic diuretics: members GUM:
Glycerol
Urea
Mannitol


Antibiotics contraindicated during pregnancy MCAT:
Metronidazole
Chloramphenicol
Aminoglycoside
Tetracycline


Lithium: side effects LITH:
Leukocytosis
Insipidus [diabetes insipidus, tied to polyuria]
Tremor/ Teratogenesis
Hypothyroidism

2 comments:

  1. I find something in herbal medicine good to share on here with anyone suffering from the disease such as HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis or Chronic Lyme Disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.
    Lupus as well.Dr Itua herbal made cure my HIV and gave me hope that he can cure all types of diseases I believed him) I do the best of myself that I can do, I went for a program in west Africa about fashion on another side I was HIV positive. I walk through a nearby village for our program schedule then I found a signage notice that says Dr Itua Herbal Center then I asked my colleagues what all about this very man called Dr Itua, She told me that he's a herbal doctor and he can cure all kind of disease i walked to him and explain myself to him as I'm a strangler out there he prepared me herbal medicine and told me how to drink it for two weeks, when I get to my hotel room I take a look at it then says a prayer before I drank it not knowing after two weeks I went to test and I found out I was negative I ran to him to pay him more but he refuses and says I should share his works for me around the globe so sick people can see as well. I'm writing a lot about him this season so that is how I was cured by drinking Dr Itua herbal medicine, He's A caring man with godly heart. Well - everything I decided all go through for me well and how you're going to treat this new aspect to your life. You don't have to suffer alone, and it's okay to ask for help. It also doesn't have to be a constant demon, as you'll get to know your body and yourself in a much deeper way than most people. Take advantage of this, as it will help you appreciate Africa Herbal Made.
    Dr Itua Contact Information.
    Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com
    Whatsapp Number....+2348149277967

    ReplyDelete

  2. I was suffering from Parkinson's since 2016 & life had become disastrous for me,72 % of my body was covered by Tremors.After taking product from www.ultimateherbalclinic.com under supervision of Dr Ernest Albrecht, I started getting results within 3 weeks of their dosage .One day I got extremely sick, could not keep anything down, difficulty standing, restless sleep,I Started taking this remedies 2 times daily Morning and Evening, I am writing this to inform others that nothing was really working to help my PD other than this product.I went off my previous medications (with the doctor's knowledge) and started on their Parkinson's disease herbal formula.Treatment went very well and tremors are gone.

    ReplyDelete